Girls Inc.® at the YWCA
Girls Incorporated® at the YWCA of Nashville and Middle Tennessee is a local affiliate of a national nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring all girls to be strong, smart and boldSM. The Girls Inc.® research-based curriculum is specially developed for empowering every girl to be herself, to resist stereotypes, develop leadership skills and achieve her dreams. View the Girls Inc.® Bill of Rights.
Girls Inc.® provides innovative, girl centered programming that encourages girls to take healthy risks, resist peer pressure, and discover their true potential. Our programs are research-based and age appropriate, focusing on:
- Reducing involvement in violent activities
- Teenage pregnancy prevention
- Substance abuse prevention
- Economic Literacy
- Media Literacy
Girls Inc.® reached 362 Nashville middle school girls in Fiscal Year 2012 with its valuable education and life skills curriculum. The program is offered at:
- Wright Middle School
- John Early Magnet Middle School
- Gra-Mar Middle School
- Rose Park Middle School
- Brick Church Middle School
- Isaac Litton Middle School
- Jere Baxter Middle School
- Kipp Academy
- Maplewood High School
Our 2012 - 2013 Curriculum is:
• Girls Inc.® Project BOLD® - Girls learn to lead safer lives by developing skills and strategies for self-defense, including physical techniques and the ability to seek out and talk to caring adults about personal violence issues.
• Girls Inc.® Friendly PEERsuasion® - Girls develop skills to resist pressure to use harmful substances such as alcohol, tobacco, household chemicals and other drugs.
• Girls Inc.® Preventing Adolescent Pregnancy® - Girls acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to take charge of and make informed, thoughtful decisions about their sexual health.
• Girls Inc.® Economic Literacy® - Girls learn to manage money, invest, and begin to develop an appreciation for global economics. Girls explore how the economy affects us locally and globally, and develop skills needed to be economically independent.
• Girls Inc.® Media Literacy® - Girls increase their awareness of the scope and power of the media and the effects of media messages on girls and women. They learn to analyze critically what they see and hear in the media, advocate for change in entertainment, news, and advertising media, and create images that are more realistic and reflective of their lives.
Inspiring girls to be strong, smart & bold.
For girls who are interested in Girls Inc.®,
visit the national web site.