HiSET & GED
The YWCA of Nashville & Middle Tennessee offers free HiSET and GED® preparation classes to help both women and men earn their High School Equivalency (HSE) so they can get the job or career they want and become more financially independent. With our free HiSET and GED® classes, you are closer than you think!
Free HiSET and GED® classes are offered at four convenient locations around Nashville: Grace M. Eaton Childcare Center in Downtown Nashville, Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Antioch, Edgehill Apartments in the 12th South area and the YWCA Main Office on Woodmont Boulevard.
In Tennessee, students have the option of taking the HiSET or GED® Exam. Passing either exam will lead to a state government-issued HSE diploma.
All YWCA teachers work with students in a classroom setting to improve math, language and reading skills needed to pass the GED® and HiSET test and earn the HSE.
Services offered include:
• Instruction in all areas of the HiSET and GED® (language arts- writing, math, language arts- reading, science and social studies)
• Assistance in setting and obtaining educational goals
• Administration of TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) to assess skill and knowledge
• Free GED® and HiSET Practice tests offered weekly
YWCA HiSET and GED® Preparation Services are partially funded by Dollar General Literacy Foundation and United Way of Metropolitan Nashville. The HiSET and GED® Preparation Program does not discriminate in employment or admission to program services on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or military service. Equal access and auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Please call (615) 269-9922 for more information about our free HiSET and GED® preparation classes.
Some famous folks who have earned their GED® include:
- Gretchen Wilson, Country Music Artist
- Fantasia Barrino, American Idol Finalist
- Hilary Swank, Actress
- Michael J. Fox, Actor
- Lil' Wayne, Hip-Hop Artist
For more information about the YWCA's HiSET and GED® Preparation program, please call (615) 269-9922.